Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gerrace_3500

Keeping Rudders Down on A Mari cat 4.3

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, i have a second mari cat and the origional clips to keep the rudders down have broken off, how does everyone else keep their rudders down?

You put a clam cleat on the top near the front. Then best to out a 2:1 purchase to the downhaul. Camcleat CL257 is a auto release version which pops open if you hit anything.

These cams and cleat, supplied by Mick Colecliffe and work really well. They are now the standard equipment supplied by Maricat.

Some fine tuning and a bit of filing may be required to get the correct amount of holding and release.

They have worked for me anytime i have hit something "hard", ie large jelly fish.

I don't know what they cost but much less then a broken rudder or busted transom.... and simple, clean and easy to fit and use.

9FCE32F8-9A9D-4879-A7F8-81FCB0DEF377.jpeg

C335ED7A-7548-41CC-A29B-670ABBA51C0D.jpeg

That's an interesting one Rodney.  I had the 'new' ones on Sweet 16, possibly the tillers were thicker than standard but I needed to use a lever to release them.  This meant that I had to cut them back but how much is enough,  effectively one extra grind of the file will move them from too tight to too loose.

I opted to stump up the $60 for a pair of CL257 which have a small cam to adjust the release.