Badgered Cat

Advice wanted on strengthening chainplates...Urgent.

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Badgered Cat said:

It all comes down to how you manufacture the part. There is ways to isolate the carbon fibre from being in contact of the stainless steel. I am not going to try and explain here, as it would be too difficult to explain by  messaging. Trust me, I know, as I have been in the industry for many years.

Totally agree but in this part in question any isolation of the carbon will greatly reduce the strength of the fitting as it is the stainless carrying the load.....the isolation becomes the weak link. Seems to me that the same high grade marine stainless throughout would be stronger.

Hi cdoch.  It is the way in which the part is manufactured, is what gains its strength. and avoidance of any corrosion. Carbon fibre has been used many situations where there is very high stress loads and in a marine environment without any problem. But making carbon parts is not for the amateur.  Anyhow it does not matter, I am not going down this path anyway, I will stick with crappy alloy castings, I may as well kept to the alloy on the side chain plates and kept the boat more original. As going to stainless steel, I dont get, when it is only on the side and not the front. But that does not matter now. I have now fixed the boat, and it is now might strong. As I have boosted the strength in the glass  where the chain plates attached, and strengthened this npoint now to withstand the roaring forties, in which I live.

Cheers everybody, and many thanks for everyones input, I really do appreciate the comments. (We may as well move on from this.)

This shaped stainless steel plate Sikaflexed over the cracked and split hulls did the trick for me.

IMG_1210.JPG

Thanks exhogger.

Mine is all fixed. Super, super.....massively super strong now, and was cheaper to fix than buying stainless steel plate and bending it. Plus it looks unnoticeable as a repair by comparison, and looking more very original, which is more to the class rules....I so believe, than having non conventional parts added to thee boat.

I raced it last weekend, and pushed it ever so hard on the reaches, with the bows burying, and me just sheeting on harder, to drive it through the bury, rather than back it off. I absolutely punished the boat, and no way was it going to give in on me. So much so, that I was travelling faster than Hobie 16 and Nacra 5.7 on the reaches. And upwind I was travelling faster and higher than B14. So I think I have it all worked out. Going massively fast, and not wanting to break, flex, nor take on anymore water than just a few little drips in each hull, and that is after 4.5 hours of hard driving, competitively sailing (racing).

I am very happy.  

1 person likes this