Sign in to follow this  
ergono

Want to learn to sail a cat around Geelong

Hi All,

I was hoping to find someone in the Geelong area who could teach me to sail a cat. I have only had a few blasts in the past, the most memorable on a Hobie 16 off West Beach in Adelaide. I don't have much experience, although I do know how to sail, mostly by crewing on larger keel boats.

Any contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Easiest way I know of is to get ya butt down to the nearest sailing club and introduce yourself and if you show interest in becoming a club member they will just about fall over themselves to help you. From there on it's all up to you, possibly learn from a few club members by crewing for them during the season and them maybe checking out what boats are for sale that meet your criteria.

Harry

Sounds like a good idea thanks Harry. I have just moved to Geelong and I suppose I was wondering if there were any clubs that offered cats specifically, so I'll just make some enquiries through them.

Mike

Try Torquay, fisherman beach on a Sunday. They have Cats and sailing Lessons or Barwon Heads High tide. Portalington sailing club on a Sunday or check their web site.

Cheers:cool:

Altona Sailing Club is also not too far away. We have a fleet of Taipan 4.9's, 5.7s and Hobie 14s, along with mixed monos. Learn to sail and race classes on Saturday mornings, a couple of club boats which may be available to rent, 1 I believe is a cat such as a Paper Tiger or Hobie.

Hi Mike,

How did you go? I'm also in the same position - recently bought my first cat, and have been sailing it at st leonards and portarlingon (by trial and error).

Have you found a good club with other cat sailors?

Cheers,

Michael

Hello

I live in geelong and i also would love to sail again.

Have in the past and it is time to start again.

I would need to join a team initially or of course have lessons.

Hi Guys,

I sail in Geelong and have sailed cats for many years, I am sure we could come to some arrangement if you would like, what sort of cats do you have/are interested in?

Thanks

Ross

post-1857-13776299695286_thumb.jpg

post-1857-13776299695543_thumb.jpg

post-1857-13776299695794_thumb.jpg

post-1857-13776299696053_thumb.jpg

Hi Ross,

I no longer sail around Geelong, my gf lived there so my cat (prindle 15) was based there, but now I'll be sailing around brighton area.

Portarlington was a great spot to sail while I was down that way :)

Hi Ross,

Sorry I haven't checked this forum for some time, I have an old Alpha Omega 4.4 that needs some work, I'm more interested in Hobie designs for their short steep wave ability, but I'd be happy just to get mine back in the water and learn how to use it properly. Are you planning on coming down to Geelong during the next few months?

Mike

Ive heard a lot from Geelong.. Its cool i know .. well, It's hard to learn a new hobby. But practice makes perfect, and this is no different when it comes to sailing. Frustrating sailing experiences come from not doing enough research ahead of time or not taking a basic sailing course that teaches you the best sailing habits. You might end up so cold you can't have fun...