Sign in to follow this  
knobblyoldjimbo

20 14ft cats out yesterday at Manno

Quite a remarkable achievement, well done to all of us.

From memory, there was one Windy, one 430, two Gliders (pretty 12ft cats with square top rigs, would benefit greatly from a carbon spar), one Mari super sloop and the rest Maris.

Just fantastic breeze, fickle 8-10 southerly and we had a great time after the race just breezin around.

Oh, a lot of the boats about 5 were sailed by juniors.

a fantastic sight to be perceived, sweet, that's for sure, for sure

top effort

go the juniors

they are the future and promise of our clubs

hope the southern breeze wasn't to cold

time to rug up me old sunshine

cheers

I woke up about 5 and thought what about the Paper Tigers! Doh! there were three, two of which were sailed by the Markovitch family.

Not too chilly, I just had a rash suit on and was fine.

Juniors go to the CHS soon, unfortunately one of the Glider pilots is too young but in the conditions we had he was in full flight.

were there any sloop rigged boats sailing 2 up. I am trying to figure outhow many 14 foot cats are sailing 2 up at other clubs. We have about 4 sailing 2up at CRSC.

Thanks

Mako

Phil sails his foamy with his daughter when she wants to sail but that's fairly rare. Rodney sailed with his wife a couple of years ago at the Manno open cat regatta but it's not a common sight. I guess most go to bigger cats for that, there are a couple of Taipans at Manno that sail two up.

Hey keep Mrs Reply out of this.............a one off cameo appearance to relive 1985 again !!

Zac and I sailed Sloop for about three years and beat every Maricat that floats............

I still think a well sailed, correct weight, 2 up Sloop is the fastest form of the boat.

Tony and Amy Zahra from Port Kembla are just about unbeatable.............including all 14ft cats.

I enjoy sailing sloop rig, (great way to teach the kids) but it is becoming harder to find a 20 kg crew so that I can be near min weight for the class.

Sam was going to sail Saturday, but her little friend that she did learn to sail with from manno was feeling sick, so she did'nt come sailing, went shopping instead, if Sam had have sailed then Mick would have had a crew as well (Sams friend).

Phil

Thanks for the feedback guys. It has been a hard decision to actualy sail 14s 2up especially since there is no formal association and hence no formal states and nationals. But my son has really taken to sailing which is fantastic. If there was a 14 foot boat with spinnaker that raced competetively 2 up with a growing 10 year old we would be very interested and so would others in our club. The Nacra 430 is the only new design but does not perform how I had hoped 2up. Any new designs out there??

At Manno you'd be very 'influenced' if that's the right word to move to a Taipan where there are more two up boats. Not sure if any of them sail with kites though. Maybe Kurnell will have some more options, obviously the Nacra 17 is likely to be a major choice since that's the way of the Olympics.

Back in Blue Collar land I think that the 14's are much more likely to be single handers.

Formal associations don't come into the argument (in my humble opinion), there are plenty of 14ft classes run in various regattas, you just have to mix it in with the windy's and PT and others. Similarly in the bigger classes, we have Nacra 5.8's racing Taipans and Hobie 18's in a competitive fleet.

Even in the 'formal' classes such as Windy and Mari there are many 'subdivisions' that fragment the ideal, the Mari is cat/sloop/super sloop with foam and 'classic' groups, Windy is the same. For the Mari, the really great thing is that the older boats can be just as well sailed against most of the foamies in most conditions, don't think that happens so much in the Windy.

There are discussions going on all the time (forums.sailinganarchy.com for example) that highlight the same issue everywhere.

Do a search for DS12 cat, you might find quite a nice little winter project for the 10yo (http://www.gust.ax/gallery/f12/).

I would go back to a H16 but we can only sail 14s at CRSC and the 1hr drive to PBSC (PalmBeach) is to far with the family at the moment. So Im stuck with 14s and as we get heavier we start to get slower especially where we sail as the winds are light. At the moment it is OK as we weigh approx 115KG and are at the pointy end of the fleet but next season he will still be growing.

Thanks for the offer DrSnapid, shoot NixonJr a private message as he's the forum owner.

You'll find what you see on here is probably less than 1% of the spam that gets automatically moderated then has to be reviewed and either deleted or approved. It can be quite time consuming as you definitely don't want to ban any valued contributors. (I hope I haven't done that accidentally so far :) )

Cheers

Phil

Another 20 cats out yesterday too.

I think a major reason was first the weather, just brilliant, light to medium NE breeze and second the CHS is on next week so the juniors were out practising in force.

Plenty of stars of yesterday, Mick and brother cat rigged Mari's (foam), Phil super sloop Mari, Warren supersloop Windy, Marko PT and I suspect a few stars of the future, I think there were seven juniors some of whom are pretty damn unbeatable, some are too young at the moment to enter the CHS but who'd give them a very good run for their money if the conditions are favourable.

We did four short windward finish races to get some starting practice, if you didn't get a good start you were stuffed. If you didn't tack properly every time you were stuffed! Then we did one long triangle, loop, triangle race.

Just such a shame that this was the last "real" day of the season. Fun day next Sat but then it's Spears Point Anzac day regatta on 25th, then Brass Monkey at Toukley in July.

So, who's going to put up some sailing?

Toukley?

Budgewoi?

Manno?

Come on, someone, some club must have the right insurance to run through the year!

I accept that some winters are wickedly unpleasant (ie the last three or so) but I have the feeling that this winter is going to be a stunner. Maybe not huge winds but clear, sunny skies and reasonable breeze.

KO

Prefer to have a club to have a race, that way there are facilities, beer, rescue etc however you're right and I'll find somewhere to sail if necessary. There are a couple of places where you can rig and launch easily.