psenior

Information

Hello,

I am a new member to the forum and a new owner of a Maricat Mk1. I am after some information and any tips that people can throw my way. The cat is sloop rigged. Three questions to begin with:

1) Does anyone have the length measurements for the fore and side stays to increase the mast to the recommended rake?

2) It has been suggested that I look at getting some fiberglass work done on the lower half of the hulls around the side stay area; would anyone know of a suitable fiberglasser in Adelaide?

3) What would I expect to pay for a reasonable set of second hand sails?

I look forward to hearing from those who may be able to help.

Regards

Paul

Hi. Congrats on purchasing an excellent boat! Hope you have loads of fun with it.

I'm the publicity officer for the NSW Paper Tiger cat association, and Secretary of the Wallagoot Lake Boat Club. I have raced Maricats a few times and have a good general knowledge of boats & sailing. As a journalist and environmental scientist, I have excellent research skills and like to provide helpful info where I can. Guys such as Humungus and Pointed Reply have much more experience with Maris that I do; so if they something contrary to what I offer, probably go with them! Often there's many ways to solve to successfully solve the same problem; just as we all take different paths upwind.

1) It depends on your sail cut. Adjusting so that the boom is horizontal is usually about right. When you crank the mainsheet on as hard as you can, with the sails centered, the blocks should ALMOST touch each other.

2) go to maps.google.com.au and enter this in the search line: fibreglass repair loc: Adelaide SA

That will produce a map showing you where fibreglass repairers are near you. I've found the guys at Binks Marine to be really helpful, so I'm sure you could give them a call for good local knowledge: http://binksmarine.com.au/

3) Typically a set of 2nd hand sails for any type of boat range from free to $500, depending on condition and how top the guy is who is helping you out. Sorry I don't know of any myself; but you've come to the right place to ask. A few SA guys use an alternative forum, so cou could also try a post there: http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/

Good luck with it!

G'day Paul

I don't sail a Maricat, but as a fellow South Australian I can second Tony's suggestion of Binks Marine. They really are the guys to see about just about anything to do with sailing in Adelaide, I have been going there for years for ll my boating needs. They do some boat building at their Somerton Park store and if they couldn't glass your cat for some reason then I'm sure they'll point you in the direction of someone who can. Hope to catch you on the water some time!

Hey Paul. the best person for a 2nd hand good sail is probly going to be Darcy, however he and a lot of us are having problems with this new version of catsailor, I'm just lucky to have got in now. You could always try ringing him 02 4359 1729. Mick (humangas) will know the std lengths of stays off the top of his head (which is fairly clear at the moment, (inside joke)) as he is the NSW dealer. As soon as we all get sorted out with catsailor I'm sure he will chime in with the required info. Ask Darcy about stay lengths too if you ring him.

Phil

Ok, I have worked it out. Catsailor that is. Race stay lenghths are Front 5.5m Side stays 5m total length. For other info go to www.maricat.com.au anf check out the tuning section.When you rake you mast back you will need to tuck the rudders under, let me know when you do and I will tell you how.

Hello

Thanks for those who have posted replies to my queries. Yes I’ll give Binks a try for the fibergalssing and other bits, thank you humungus2 for the measurements. I’ll get to it over the next month or so and will give a shout out about rudders when I get to that point.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Humungus2,

I have been measuring my stays and I will need to take about 50-60 mm off my side stays, but would need to add abut 800mm to my forestay, which seems a little extreme. Currently my forestay for the sloop rig is 4700 to where it joins the bow bridle stays. So I was wanting to double check whether that measurement was meant to be 5500 or 5050, or am I measuring the wrong spots..

Regards

Paul